jump to navigation

Status Upgrade: Ugly to Good January 20, 2011

Posted by J. in FYI.

I say that with the greatest trepidation.

When last we spoke, I thought Dave was having a delayed reaction to some antibiotics.  I posted at about 9:30 in the morning, but had no idea the events of the morning were just a precursor to All Hell Breaking Loose.

Up until then the status in the house was Bad.  But it went to Ugly pretty fast.

After I logged off here, I went to do the dishes.  I’m elbow deep in the sink when I hear from the living room, “Mama!  Dave just puked!  He REALLY puked!”

Oh hell.

I pull my hands out of the sink and dry them just as the boy toddles into the kitchen, stands in front of me, and boots on the floor.  Luckily, it’s a wood floor.  I’m hearing shrieks from the girls that he puked on the couch, but that’s only dimly registering while I have Dave strip on the spot and wipe him down.  Then I have to change because there’s puke all over me–again.  Saints be praised, he threw up on the blanket that was on the couch and because they’d been playing with the couch cushions, only a wee big got on the plastic back of the pull-out sleeper which wiped clean.


I’m now realizing that Dave isn’t having a delayed reaction.  He’s got a stomach bug.  Which means everyone’s getting the stomach bug.  It never, ever fails.

At 1:00, I thought fate had smiled on me when I heard Larry T. pull into the yard.  I figured they cut him loose early because of the snow.  (That’s why the girls were home…snow day.)  No.  He came in, lay down on the couch and stayed there for the rest of the day and the night, getting up long enough to puke and other nasty things.

I had a chilling moment of dread.  I was the only grown up on duty.

*ominous music*

The day went by normally enough. Despite being sick, Dave was in a good mood, and after that one time didn’t get sick or have diarrhea again.  Larry just lay there.  The girls played out in the snow.  Bearing in mind that I was still operating on only a few hours of sleep myself, I did laundry, finished my dishes, and in the afternoon I went out to clear the roofs of snow.  I cleaned the stove and fetched a bag of pellets from the barn.  After a freakishly long, busy day, I put the kids to bed and popped out to the store to get more ginger ale and some saltines.  By the time I got back, Mary was complaining that her belly hurt.  I sent her to bed with a bucket and went up too at 9:00.

She puked at 9:30.  I cleaned up and went back to bed.

She puked again at 11:00.  I cleaned up and went back to bed.

Emma, not to be left out, puked at 12:30.  She doesn’t wake up to puke, either.  She pukes all over herself, then sits up and pukes on all the stuff she missed with the first pass.  I cleaned up and went back to bed.

This went on all night.  Emma twice more, Bug once, no more than 2 hours between them.  At 7:00 I crawled downstairs, went pee, and got back into bed.  I finally slept until 10 when the sound of singing woke me up.  The girls were in their room playing and singing songs.  When they headed downstairs, I asked them how they were feeling and they said “Much, much, much, much better.”

Phew.  But they’re still staying home.  Holiday Monday, Snow Day Tuesday, Sick Day Wednesday.

I got Dave and we headed downstairs.  Dave, who was feeling better at bedtime, was very cranky in the morning.  I hit him with some ginger ale and a banana, and more or less confident that Larry was well enough to handle any crises in my absence, got dressed to go out for more provisions before the sudden diarrhea or need to vomit violently overtook me.  Because you know it’s coming.  You can feel it over your shoulder, breathing down you neck.

By the time I got back, Dave had puked again, this time on Larry, who luckily was feeling better, as I was feeling pretty punky.  He wouldn’t drink all day, and it wasn’t until dinnertime I could get anything into him.  He seemed better after eating a few saltines, but I put him to bed knowing he was dehydrated but not able to do much about it.

Dave wound up laying on the couch with Larry all afternoon while the girls sacked out in our bed watching cartoons.  I sat in my chair and struggled to remain upright.  I washed all the sheets and blankets and pajamas in the house, and I don’t know how many towels.  I poured many glasses of ginger ale and Gatorade.  I made a variety of chicken-based soups for dinner and kept everyone nourished.

Finally, when Dave woke up, I told Larry I was feeling like crap and needed desperately to lie down.  Thank God he had rallied and could take over a bit.  I was okay, until I got up and moved around, then I felt nauseous.

It was coming for me.  It was right behind me.  It stepped on the back of my shoe and gave me a flat tire.

Long story short, I went to bed, hauling my bucket with me.  And here’s where things actually take an upswing.  No one woke me up–not even once, and this morning we all got up as if nothing had ever happened.  I don’t know if Dave will continue puking or not.  He pounded two Gatorades like they were going out of style and I find that stuff is like magic and will cure what ails you.  If he does yak it up, it’s going to be colorful.  (I never think to buy the clear flavor.)  I don’t know if the flu caught a glimpse of my immune system and just buggered off or if it’s going to jump out from behind a tree to tackle me later one when I’m here alone with the boy.  But for now, everything is good.

So that’s where I’ve been and what I’ve been doing, and how my situation went from Good, to Bad, to Ugly, and back again to Good.  For now.  I hope.  Fingers crossed.



1. Rae - January 20, 2011

Omg I hope all of you are actually on the upside of the bug finally I hope it stays that way you have had enough sick excitement to last you awhile.

2. Susan Morgan - January 20, 2011

Wow, sorry I had to giggle at some of this. I really feel for ya. Hope you get some much needed rest.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: